Wednesday, May 5, 2010

More things I've learned while being in Buenos Aires

- If you go out to eat here, plan on it not being a quick thing. They are not in a hurry to get to you once you sit down, they are not in a hurry to get you out after you finished your email. Us busy Americanos will more than likely have to ask for the check, otherwise it could be an hour or more after eating.

- They just throw bags of garbage on the sidewalk, which a garbage truck comes and picks it up in the middle of the night. And people have no problem going through the garbage bags either. Not just homeless people or whatnot, but people that look like they don't need to be going through sacks of garbage.

- I think people have fun just coming up to me and rambling a bunch of stuff in Spanish to see my lost expression. I know some words and phrases, but they are usually speaking so fast, that I have no clue what was just said.

- Cheese, they love their cheese. Lunch has cheese involved in almost everything. That and beef.

- We are getting coke in glass bottles here. I'm tying to limit my soda intake, but since they don't have ice tea here (they look at me weird when I ask for it), I've had a couple. Coke is better here than it is back at home.

- In a disappointing turn of events, most of the beer here is imported stuff that can easily be found in America. Heinken,Guiness, Corona, and Budweiser have all shown up. The only Argentine beer I've had so far is this stuff called Quilmes Crystal (they have other varieties as well) , which tastes like a mellower Red Stripe. It's good, but I was hoping for more. That's one of the missions this weekend, to find some good Argentine beer.

- When walking on the sidewalk, don't do it too close to the edge, or a big ass bus will come by and clip you with one of it's mirrors.

- People on Motorcycles and mopeds have a death wish. They will go between cars, around them, through them, whatever it takes.

- Everyone is horn happy.

- There must be a lucrative career in the magazine business, there is a newsstand on every street corner. Seriously, every corner, and they have every type of magazine you could imagine. EVERY kind....

- They still stand on busy intersections and panhandle, but they have some creativity to it. One kid I saw, would busily rush out when cars stopped, dropped a bunch of envelopes on the cars windshield. I guess he would time it out, then he would rush back and collect the envelopes. I didn't see many people using the envelopes, but some people appreciated the effort. Another time, I see a guy do a juggling act out in the cross walk while cars were stopped at the light. He stopped in time to get money from people. Gotta like it....

- No one wears shorts. I mean no one.

- Not many people wear hats either. Of course I'm always wearing one and will continue to do so, but not often you someone wearing a hat.

1 comment:

  1. Travis, this is awesome! I just kept missing that you were blogging separate from the facebook posts, but when I slowed down and followed the link... just great!

    ReplyDelete