Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Yet More Things I've Learned In Buenos Aires


- They have a healthy dislike of having stop signs at four way intersections. Not the big city intersections, but the smaller ones off the beaten path. Sidney and I spent a Sunday afternoon on a cafe patio near one of these intersections waiting for an accident, nothing life alternating, just an entertaining fender bender. After many near misses, there was no such luck. We decided the bigger vehicles had the right of way, no matter what directions they come from.

- Not having ever been to a big east coast city, which I'm assuming Buenos Aires most resembles, I don't know how people are there, but here, they are not the friendliest people in the world and in some cases, down right snooty.

- Movie theaters leave something to be desired, at least the one I went to off of the very popular Florida Street. I've been to people's houses that have a nicer entertainment center.

- It's kind of fun to be able to say whatever I want around people and there is a good chance they aren't going to understand me. Of course this has a chance of biting me in the ass one of these times, but for now, it's been fun.

- I'm sure this isn't restricted to Buenos Aires, but four different taxi rides to the barrio of Palermo have equaled four different ways to get there.

- Women wear skin tight pants. This can be good and bad. Tight pants are a privilege, not a right. But (no pun intended) there are some women here that could put J-Lo to shame, and I'm not even a butt guy....I'll leave it at that.

- They have a healthy fear of ice in drinks. I've heard this is common in other places, but it's still kind of weird.

- Speaking of food and drink, portions here for the most part are rather small, which probably explains the small percentage of over weight people. They don't skimp on meat though, steaks and fish are good sized portions. You won't go hungry, let's put it that way...

- It's funny to watch dudes gathered around TVs in bars watching soccer. 60 minutes to watch a couple goals....no thanks.....

- Their Federal capital building is pink....no really, it's pink, like pink pink. There are some rumors behind why this is, but still....pink?

- In this particular area (downtown), there is almost a 50-50 split between cabs and regular cars on the roads. Even in the other parts of the city I've been in, we've never had a problem getting a cab. Well there was the Saturday night we went to Palermo and the bars were starting to empty. Neither of us had a skirt on, so it was kind of hard to get a cab to pick us up. My bare legs don't exactly scream "hotness".

- It's freakin humid here...and somewhat chilly from time to time. We've only had one day with much rain (at least that I've seen, I spend most of the daytime inside).

- You don't see a whole lot of homeless on the streets here. Sure, it's here, but for a city of 13 million, I was kind of expecting to see more. It's when I see kids or a guy in a wheel chair with a cat on a leash that it gets to me too much.

- They call the barrio of Recoleta the "Paris of South America". While it's nice, if that's what Paris is like, it's a disappointment. Maybe I didn't rub enough shoulders with the rich and famous that are supposed to frequent the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment